Government Pension Accounting and Financial Reporting
Gain an understanding of GASB new pension standards for accounting and financial reporting and compare to prior standards for historical context.
Use actual class exercises to review financial reporting of net pension liability and related note disclosures. The new pension standards are GASB statements Nos. 67, 68, 71, 73, 78, 82 and 85.
- Accounting and financial reporting for (Aggregate) Net Pension Liability
- Effect of the Measurement Date
- Seven new pension standards by Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB)
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)for government
- Defined Benefit and Defined Contribution Pension Plans
- Impact on Deferred Outflows of Resources and Deferred Inflows of Resources
- Establishes financial reporting and accounting for state and local governmental pension plans.
- Recognize and discuss class exercises for a city's Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) and Notes to the financial statements with emphasis on pensions.
- Identify actuarial valuation for Total Pension Plan Liability.
- Recognize some specific auditing issues for pensions, such as census data auditing.
- Summarize key points from GASB statements: . No. 67, Financial Reporting for Pension Plans . No. 68, Accounting and Financial Reporting for Pension Plans . No. 71, Pension Transition for Contributions Made Subsequent to the Measurement Date . And others, Nos. 73, 78, 82 and 85.
Governmental accountants and financial professionals.
Applicable if you are a HSCPA member in good standing.
Applicable if you are not a HSCPA member.