Basis Calculations & Distributions for Pass-Through Entity Owners
Get up to speed quickly with this comprehensive case-driven training course which focuses on basis calculations and distribution planning for the owners of pass-thru entities (i.e., S corps, partnerships and LLCs). Take a line-by-line analysis of the Schedule K-1 and how it affects the basis calculations. Hands-on methodology, real-world examples and cases are used to demonstrate the complex income tax code and regulations to enhance the learning experience. Each attendee will receive a comprehensive reference manual with numerous practice aids, real-world examples and case studies.
- Emphasize any new legislation affecting owners of pass-through entities.
- The three loss and deduction limitations on the owner’s individual income tax return (i.e., basis, at-risk and other Form 1040 limitations).
- How cash or non-cash distributions affect the basis calculations and whether or not they are taxable to the owners.
- Compare the tax treatment of the sale of a shareholder’s stock in a S corporation and a partner’s interest in a partnership.
- What constitutes debt basis for a S corp shareholder under the final regulations.
- Tax ramifications of repaying loans to S corp shareholders and on open account debt.
- How recourse and non-recourse debt affect a partner or member’s basis calculations and amount at-risk.
- Identify the three main reasons for calculating a shareholder’s basis in a S corp and partner/member’s basis in a partnership/LLC.
- Calculate the stock and debt basis for S corp shareholders.
- Calculate the basis for partners and members of a LLC.
- Calculate losses allowed from at-risk activities.
- Review the Form 1120S and Form 1065 Schedule K-1s to determine how the line items affect basis calculations and get reported on the individual owner’s Form 1040.
Registration for this course has passed.
Applicable if you are a HSCPA member in good standing.
Applicable if you are not a HSCPA member.