Advanced Critical Tax Issues for Limited Liability Companies and Partnerships
The purpose of this course is to provide an in-depth discussion of selected advanced-level issues affecting LLCs and LLPs.
- Single-member limited liability companies as an alternative to subsidiaries
- Cancellation of indebtedness: rules and regulations
- How the IRS views members or partners for Social Security purposes
- Special problems when forming an LLC
- Debt issues and problems in structuring LLCs and LLPs, including loan guarantee issues, recourse and non-recourse debt, the at-risk basis rules, and new regulations restricting "bottom dollar" guarantees
- Distributions: is it just a disguised sale? New regulations eliminate certain tax-deferred leveraged partnership transactions
- Death or retirement of a member or partner -- Understanding the alternatives
- Step-up in basis issues -- How to make the computations and elections
- Property transactions between the LLC/LLP and its members or partners -- Inbound and outbound transactions: what to do with built-in gain or loss property
- Partnership losses: when are they deductible?
- Material participation rules for LLC members and limited partners: how they affect passive loss issues
- Continuation and termination of an LLC/partnership in the context of a merger or acquisition
- Sales of an LLC Interest -- holding period, and hot asset issues
- Impact of the tax on investment income on the sale of an interest in a partnership or LLC
- New: Section 199A, technical termination of partnership repealed, other issues under 2017 Act
- Identify the tax and non-tax advantages and disadvantages of LLCs and partnerships
- Describe how inside and outside basis is affected by liabilities, recourse and nonrecourse
- Discuss the impact of cash and property distributions
- Explain the tax consequences of a sale of an interest and distinguish such consequences from the tax consequences when a partnership or LLC is acquired or merges into another LLC or partnership
- Case study to improve advocacy skills before the IRS
CPAs with clients using the LLC or LLP structure who need to understand advanced issues, problems, and planning strategies
Registration for this course has passed.
Early Registration Member Fee
Applicable if you are a HSCPA member in good standing and register by August 14, 2019.
Applicable if you are a HSCPA member in good standing.
Early Registration Non-Member Fee
Applicable if you are not a HSCPA and register by August 14, 2019.
Applicable if you are not a HSCPA member.
Neighbor Island Discount
Applicable for Neighbor Island members in good standing
Associate Neighbor Island Discount
Applicable for Associate Neighbor Island members in good standing
CPE ChoiceLearn more about CPE Choice.
|CPE Choice Fee||$250.00|