Corporate Controller at Hawaiian Host Inc.
Job posted on October 18, 2019
Under the direction of the Senior Vice President, the Corporate Controller is responsible for the accurate and timely financial reporting of the consolidated financial position of the company for both internal and external use, overall coordination of the accounting paper flow throughout the company, financial forecasting of cash flow, preparing operating budgets, pricing analysis and cost accounting. The Corporate Controller is also responsible for the accuracy and timely data entry of the computerized financial information.
• Direct, coordinate and participate in all accounting and financial operations necessary to prepare monthly consolidated financial statements, closings (monthly, quarterly & annual), cash management, tax filings, line of credit management, tax savings opportunities and other related accounting activities
• Prepare monthly financial reporting package including management discussion and analysis, consolidating balance sheet, consolidating statement of profit and loss, and consolidating statement of cash flows, in accordance with GAAP, and other supplemental reports and analyses in a timely manner (15 days after the end of the month)
• Prepare monthly financial reporting package for Regional Sales Directors. Conduct monthly review sessions
• Prepare annual consolidated and regional budgets and forecasts, with input from other functional disciplines. Develop financial data necessary for the preparation and evaluation of business plans and annual budgets
• Assist in the preparation of board of director’s quarterly presentations
• Maintain the company's Chart of Accounts to properly collect income, cost and expense information for accurate financial reporting and controls of the company's finances.
• Determine and control the proper accountability of the company's assets through physical counts
• Direct and manage annual financial audits with external auditors
• Collect and develop information for the timely preparation of quarterly tax estimates, tax returns and respective payments to local, state or federal government of any taxes due.
Compliance and Regulations
• Ensure that financial policies and procedures of the company are carried out in a manner consistent with the goals and the objectives of the Company
• Ensure compliance with federal, state and local tax laws; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing financial reports; advising management on needed actions
• Prepare monthly and quarterly bank loan compliance reports
• Ensure that all financial records are maintained in a manner consistent with GAAP
• Ensure that all actions are accomplished in an ethical and prudent manner
• Develop and maintain Accounting Standards and Operating Procedures. Recommend improvements in any division/department or companywide policies and/or procedures. Protect company assets by establishing, monitoring and enforcing internal controls
• Maintain in good order, all records and files assigned to this function and the safekeeping of all company records including computerized financial information
• Conduct employee performance evaluations on the employees reporting to this position at least once per year
• Ensure strong communication and coordination with related areas, including administration, sales and marketing, and operations
• Create and maintain a work environment that shows concern for its people as much as for its property and promote the autonomy and growth of each individual employed to the level of their capacity
• Provide adequate supervision and training of direct reports in order to maintain flexibility and continuity of accounting and related administrative operations. Training includes the proper performance of their jobs, in company rules, regulations and policies, and job safety
• Promote and develops internal bench strength and expertise
• Demonstrate good judgement and reasoning in investigating and solving problems
• Monitor all activities to insure proper levels of profit margin, overhead, and direct expenses are maintained
• Identify key stakeholders and develop strong working relationships with key members of sales and marketing, operations, and administration that result in efficiencies in financial processing and reporting
• Serve as a member of the management team and participate in regularly scheduled cross functional committees
• Serve as a company liaison to bank representatives, external auditors, insurance broker, and other related external relationships
• Develop and maintain financial and management information systems. This includes protecting, examining and evaluating existing systems, developing new methods and insuring proper disposal of records.
• Performs other work related duties and special projects as assigned.
• Performs all duties and maintains all standards in accordance with company policies and procedures.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or Economics, with the last three degrees having a minor emphasis in Accounting
• Thorough knowledge of GAAP, tax regulations and reporting procedures
• Thorough knowledge of all accounting functional areas, including, but not limited to accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger, operational budget planning and control, cash flow forecasting, financial reports, and manufacturing cost accounting
• Proficient in MS Excel and pivot tables; MS PowerPoint, working knowledge of MS Word
• Statistical and analytical knowledge using general business math skills. Language requirements are reading, writing, spelling and the ability to communicate clearly and concisely
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS PREFERRED:
• Prefer CPA designation or Master’s Degree. Masters can be in Accounting, Business or Finance, with the last two degrees having a minor in Accounting
• Experience with Great Plains software or similar manufacturing software
• Minimum of five (5) years as an accounting manager and three (3) years as a controller, preferably with a company with annual sales of $50 million or more
• Possess the interpersonal skills necessary to motivate employees, to help them reach their highest potential for the business and to help them to achieve their personal goals
• Have the insight to closely look at the operation and visualize its best operating structure
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is constantly required to sit; use finger dexterity; use vision and hearing; use eye-hand coordination; frequently required to stand; walk; occasionally required to pull less than 25 pounds; lift 25-50 pound; carry 25-50 pounds; stair climb; bend; forward reach; overhead reach; grasp handle; seldom required to push; squat; kneel; stoop; crouch; twist; side bend.
The position requires constant talking to co-workers; written communication to co-workers; talking on the telephone; supervising others; responding to written or verbal requests of co-workers; training/giving verbal instructions; writing/composing written language; reading; frequently requires talking to customers; written communication to customers
Talking to outside trade persons/vendors; written communication to outside trade persons/vendors; receiving verbal instructions; receiving written instructions; occasionally visit/work at different worksites.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not exposed to weather conditions.
2. The noise level in the work environment is usually light.
Hawaiian Host is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
How to Apply
Please send all resumes and inquiries to Scott Miyaki: firstname.lastname@example.org