Director, Fiscal and Membership Services at United Public Workers, AFSCME Local 646, AFL-CIO
Job posted on July 15, 2020
Reporting to the (Chief of Staff/Administrator) State Director, this position is responsible for the successful management, administration and operation of the Fiscal and Membership Services. UPW is seeking an individual who can work under and meet regular deadlines, interact effectively with the Officers, Executive Staff (Administratorship Staff) and Members and work collegially with all sections.
- Directs, implements and provides oversight of the Union’s policies and programs in the areas of accounting, auditing and finance, including the AFSCME Financial Standards Code and constitutionally mandated reporting by UPW.
- Advises executive staff (administratorship staff) on accounting, auditing and financial matters (including 401k) and makes recommendations for changes to or improvement of policies, controls, procedures and practices in those areas.
- Responsible for and directs the preparation of financial reports for the (Administratorship Staff) Officers, State Executive Board, Executives and Sections.
- Responsible for the preparation and timely filing of regulatory reports with the FEC, DOL, IRS, State of Hawaii and other agencies.
- Responsible for and oversees the use of all accounting and related systems involved with financial and regulatory reporting, accounting controls and processes.
- Follows GAAP and standard auditing practices, understands industry trends and ensures the Union’s compliance.
- Oversees and directs the division review program, Financial Standards Code and other affiliate trainings, accounting advisory services functions and division reporting functions for the union.
- Manages the annual audit of the Union’s financial records.
- Guides fiscal and membership services staff in carrying out financial services and reviews divisions. Ensures that findings from the reviews are reported accurately and promptly to management.
- Oversees and makes decisions on hiring and promotions for the fiscal and membership services and furthers UPW’s commitment to equity and inclusion.
- Coaches and advises fiscal and membership services staff to develop effective supervisory skills and in growing, mentoring and retaining highly effective staff.
- Graduation from an accredited college with a 4-year degree in Accounting. At least three years of experience at a Director/High Level Supervisory level and 6+ years in the management of a Accounting and/or Auditing operation. CPA certificate or advanced degree in accounting, finance or business administration is desirable.
- Advanced knowledge of accounting and auditing principles and standards.
- Commitment to the mission and values of UPW/AFSCME.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and supervise staff toward department and organizational goals.
- Integrity, trustworthiness and ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality.
- Ability to provide advice and guidance to (administratorship staff) executive and senior management with confidence.
- Attentive to employee morale and quality of life issues; cultural awareness and sensitivity with a lens on racial and gender equity.
- Superior oral and written communications skills; excellent analytical and problem-solving skills; and the ability to function comfortably in a fast-paced work environment with changing priorities.