Business Succession Planning And Exit Strategies
Essential for business and legal professionals who are advising clients on business succession planning options. This how-to course will tackle various valuation metrics and how they apply to a business, whether it is for a sale to an outside 3rd party, an internal transfer to existing employees, or transferring ownership to family members.
Learning how to structure deals and maximize a company's value in preparation for its sale, as well as how family dynamics impact planning if a family transfer is considered, are key topics in this newly updated course.
- Minority interest vs. pro rata portion of the whole.
- How discounts impact value.
- Selling outright; selling or transitioning to employees; selling or gifting to family members.
- Deal structures.
- Discounting on value transfer.
- Family assets.
- Buy/sell agreements to plan for ownership changes and help avoid shareholder and family disputes.
- Determine what a business is worth and how being an owner with control vs. an owner without control impacts value.
- Identify transition options, from selling the business outright to implementing transition strategies, including viability of internal transfers or a transfer to family members.
- Recognize tax issues associated with different transition options, including the impact of recently enacted tax legislation.
- Determine how family dynamics impact planning considerations.
- Identify how to start the planning process early and tools to make the process more effective, including the development of effective buy/sell documents.
CPAs, attorneys and business valuation practitioners.
Registration for this course has passed.
Applicable if you are a HSCPA member in good standing.
Applicable if you are not a HSCPA member.