Advanced Issues: The Art of the Estate Tax Return
Dive into strategies for preparing an estate tax return and achieving the most successful results for clients during an audit, including compliance and planning opportunities. Required returns and portability-only election returns will be discussed in depth.
Learn about the weaknesses in IRS arguments, how to secure the best appraisal results and how to effectively make portability elections. Additionally, explore the counter arguments for IRS challenges to FLPs, formula clauses, promissory note valuation and allowable deductions.
Other topics include: avoiding traps in both planning and preparing Form 706; how to select and communicate with appraisers; best use of administrative expense deductions; achieving the best audit results; and staying on top of refund claims. Attendees will have the opportunity to shape the course by requesting topics to be covered. These topics will either integrate into the pre-set points the instructor plans to include or added as special points for discussion in class.
Course materials include the instructor's award-winning book and latest supplement, "Estate Planning At The Movies®—The Art of the Estate Tax Return," which delivers best practices and cutting-edge strategies for estate tax savings. The course text published by Bloomberg, BNA Books, references more than 200 motion pictures related to class topics. The author and publisher have made these course materials available at a specially discounted price to attendees. The premium additional investment you make for these award-winning course materials are available to attendees at greater than a 60% discount from the published rate. The book and supplement provide valuable resources. It is not possible to cover the book in its entirety during the class.
The book and supplement are provided in pdf format at the lowest price anywhere! Remember to bring your computer or other screen-visual access course materials.
Note: Webcast participants will receive course materials in e-book format.
- Deceased spousal unused exclusion amount (DSUEA).
- Maximizing fractional interest discounts.
- Strategic choices with estate tax versus income tax planning when preparing Form 706 including changes under the 2017 Tax Act.
- Working with and selecting appraisers.
- Reducing discounts on the death of the first spouse.
- Effective planning and return preparation with FLPs and family LLCs.
- Honing marital deduction reporting.
- Reporting reverse QTIP elections and GST exemption allocations on Form 706.
- Protective and perfected refund claims.
- Form 8971 for basis reporting consistency.
- Determine how to slash estate tax liability.
- Identify topics to make your estate tax return practice more effective.
- Learn practice tips to avoid claims and best practices to protect your livelihood when preparing estate tax returns.
- Determine how to best integrate estate tax return preparation into your more effective accounting or law practice.
- Stay current with recent estate tax related developments, including opportunities and planning under the 2017 Tax Act.
- Identify how to avoid audits and gain insight to the selection of estate tax returns for examination.
- Determine the hottest issues and challenges with estate tax audits.
Attorneys, CPAs and tax practitioners.
Registration for this course has passed.
Applicable if you are a HSCPA member in good standing.
Applicable if you are not a HSCPA member.