Unrelated Business Income Tax Fundamentals
Learn about the unrelated business income tax (UBIT) and related issues. Examine changes made by The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, including guidance issued to date, including guidance on the ability to offset UBIT loss activities against those generating positive unrelated business taxable income and changes to net operating loss rules. We will, also, discuss special rules and their application to particular types of organizations and entities.
The UBIT on income earned from both operating businesses and investment activities applies to all organizations exempt from tax under Internal Revenue Code Sec. 501(c), as well as public colleges and universities and qualified and nonqualified retirement plans. Learn about the tax and related issues,
Also, examine modifications, exclusions, exceptions and deductible expenses. Further, discuss the specific deduction and special rules for debt financed income, corporate sponsorships and periodicals as well as receive tips for clients’ regarding the structuring of new revenue generating activities. Dive into alternative investment activities, which increasingly result in more organizations having unrelated business taxable income for both federal and state purposes as well as additional filings related to foreign investments.
Finally, what would 2019 course on UBIT be without a discussion of Qualified Transportation Fringe benefits which due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act may result in organizations with little or no prior exposure to UBIT becoming taxpayers.
Formerly titled: Unrelated Business Income Tax
- Definition of unrelated business
- Unrelated business income tax: origins, exclusions, modifications and exceptions
- Tax Cuts and Jobs Act provisions and guidance
- Special rules • Debt financed income issues
- Alternative investments Qualified Transportation Fringe benefits
- Filing requirements
- State UBIT filings and other federal filings relating to foreign investments
- Identify the history and applications of the unrelated business income tax (UBIT)
- Learn the implications of provisions contained in The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act and their implications for employee benefits and revenue generating activities including operating businesses and alternative investments
- Recognize the definition of unrelated business income and it's implications on both an organization's operating trades and businesses and investment activities
- Determine exclusions, modifications and exception to unrelated business income
- Identify debt financed income
- Recognize the rules for deducting expenses in determining unrelated business taxable income, filing requirements and the implications of earning unrelated business income beyond potentially paying tax
- Identify special rules for particular activities and types of entities
- Identify federal and state filing issues
Applicable if you are a HSCPA member in good standing.
Applicable if you are not a HSCPA member.