Dealing with IRS Appeals
IRS Appeals is often the best place to resolve a tax dispute. Appeals can review almost all examination and collection determinations and is often the best place to resolve any disputes. A practitioner should not handle a complicated examination or collection matter without a thorough understanding of how Appeals operates.
This is especially true with the recent changes in the way Appeals handles cases. This course will review the Appeals process and strategies that will allow practitioners to competently represent a client before the IRS. State tax appeals will also be discussed and compared.
- Preparing the case for an appeal.
- Best practices and strategies for handling appeals.
- Alternate dispute resolution options before and after the appeal.
- Appeals of collection and penalty determinations.
- Understanding state appeals for income, sales and employment taxes.
- Recognize when IRS and state tax administrative appeal rights arise.
- Determine differences between IRS and state tax appeals.
- Identify strategies for using appeal and alternate dispute resolution options.
- Understand the new Appeals procedures to become comfortable handling an appeal.
- Determine how to coordinate appeals with potential litigation.
Registration for this course has passed.
Applicable if you are a HSCPA member in good standing.
Applicable if you are not a HSCPA member.