Government OPEB Accounting And Financial Reporting
Continue your Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) learning and knowledge for its Other Post-employment Benefits Other Than Pensions (OPEB) Standards as to accounting and financial reporting. Understand the OPEB Standards and compare to the prior standards for historical context. Use actual class exercises to review a city's CAFR, actuarial valuation and review the financial reporting of Total/Net OPEB Liability and related note disclosures. The OPEB Standards are GASB Statements Nos. 74, 75 and 85.
- Accounting and Financial Reporting for Total/Net OPEB Liability
- GASB Statements:
- No. 74, Financial Reporting for Post-employment Benefit Plans Other Than Pension Plans
- No. 75, Accounting and Financial Reporting for Post-employment Benefits Other Than Pensions
- No. 85, Omnibus 2017
- Affect of the Measurement Date
- Impact on Deferred Outflows of Resources and Deferred Inflows of Resources
- Defined Benefit and Defined Contribution OPEB Plans
- Actuarial Valuation of Total OPEB Liability
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles in the United States (US GAAP)for government
- Consider and discuss the "Implicit Rate Subsidy" for OPEB
- Present and review the "Government Industry Alert" regarding OPEB
- Establishes financial reporting and accounting for State and local governmental OPEB Plans.
- Review a City's Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) as it relates to the Net OPEB Liability.
- Recognize and review an actuarial valuation for the Total OPEB Liability.
- Identify the consistencies and inconsistencies of the OPEB Standards as compared to the GASB Pension Standards.
- Determine what is the Measurement Date.
- Discuss the use of the Alternative Measurement Method for the Total OPEB Liability.
Professionals in government and public accounting.
Applicable if you are a HSCPA member in good standing.
Applicable if you are not a HSCPA member.