Buying and Selling a Business: Critical Tax and Structuring Issues
One of the major transactions CPA clients enter into is a purchase or disposition of a business. To help tax professionals in advising those clients, this course offers a comprehensive analysis of the business and tax aspects of buying and selling a business. It is a practical guide to help practitioners and industry CPAs understand structuring techniques. All CPAs, including controllers and executives in industry, should understand how difficult the process of buying and selling a business has become.
- Spreadsheet analysis to develop an offer price using the discounted cash flow and alternate valuation methods
- Negotiation points and goals from the buyer and seller standpoints
- Understanding confidentiality agreements, memorandums of understanding, and asset purchase agreements
- Recognizing the need for due diligence in acquisitions -- checklists of important points
- Deemed asset sales -- Is 338 or 338(h)(10) appropriate?
- The impact of the 197 amortizable intangibles regulations on the acquisition and disposition of a business
- How to allocate purchase price for tax advantage
- Impact of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017
- Changes in strategy under the new tax laws
- Liquidations as alternatives to sales of a business
- Planning to avoid double taxation under repeal of the General Utilities doctrine
- Special problems and opportunities when an S corporation is the buyer or seller
- Installment sale and interest issues
- Avoiding tax pitfalls and recognition of tax planning opportunities
- Bootstrap acquisitions
- State tax issues
- Unique issues in buying and selling of LLC/partnership interests
- Individually owned goodwill
- Understand what factors must be considered in due diligence and in developing a valuation
- Understand the goals and methods of negotiating the final purchase price
- Identify the different tax consequences for various forms of acquired business
- Appreciate 338 and 338(h)(10) elections and the benefits of installment sales
- Learn how strategies have changed under new tax legislation
All practitioners who will be involved in the sale of a business
Registration for this course has passed.
Early Registration Member Fee
Applicable if you are a HSCPA member in good standing and register by October 25, 2018.
Applicable if you are a HSCPA member in good standing.
Early Registration Non-Member Fee
Applicable if you are not a HSCPA and register by October 25, 2018.
Applicable if you are not a HSCPA member.
Neighbor Island Discount
Applicable for Neighbor Island members in good standing
Associate Neighbor Island Discount
Applicable for Associate Neighbor Island members in good standing
CPE ChoiceLearn more about CPE Choice.
|CPE Choice Fee||$240.00|